A wrap is made with a soft flatbread rolled around a filling.
The usual flatbreads are wheat-flour tortillas, lavash, or pita; the filling usually consists of cold sliced meat, poultry, or fish accompanied by shredded lettuce, diced tomato or pico de gallo, guacamole, sautéed mushrooms, bacon, grilled onions, cheese, and a sauce, such as a ranch or honey mustard.
Mexicans, Armenians, Middle Easterners, Greeks and Turks have been eating wraps since before the 1900s. Mexicans refer to them as burritos, and they come in different ingredient varieties, primarily wheat flour or corn.
The wrap in its Western form probably comes from California, as a generalization of the Tex-Mex burrito, and became popular in the 1990s. It may have been invented and named at a southern California chain called ‘I Love Juicy’ in the early 1980s. The OVO Bistro in NYC introduced its wrap sandwich in 1990 under the name ‘The King Edward,’ The Bobby Valentine Sports Gallery Cafe in Stamford, Connecticut is sometimes claimed to have invented the wrap at about the same time, but Valentine is diffident about it: ‘Well, that’s legend and folklore, but until somebody disputes me or comes up with a better story, I’ll say I invented the wrap.’ Beth Dolan of Stamford, Connecticut is the waitress credited for serving the first wrap after the restaurant had run out of bread. Moreover, Valentine’s own story dates his use of the name ‘wrap’ to the mid-1990s, after it is documented in California.
A wrap is a variation of a sandwich: a sandwich has two distinct layers which are the top and bottom pieces of bread. A wrap, on the other hand, is one piece that completely surrounds the content of the wrap.
Chicken Wrap Roll
It's a wrap! a speedy & supper with plenty of spice that is low in calories - the perfect meal to enjoy anytime.
- • 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- • 6 Boneless and skinless chicken thighs cut into bite-sized pieces
- • 1 Large onion thinly sliced into half-moons
- • 2 Garlic cloves finely chopped
- • 3 cm piece Ginger peeled and finely chopped
- • 1/2 tbsp Ground cumin
- • 1/2 tbsp Garam masala
- • 1 tbsp Tomato purée
- • 1/2 Green shallow fry capsicum
- • 1 Red chilli thinly sliced into rings
- • 1/2 Lemon juice
- • 3 Rotis warmed
- • 1/2 Small red onion chopped
- • 4 tbsp Mango chutney or lime pickle
- • 4 handfuls Mint or Coriander
- • 1 cube Chess you can add more as per your taste
- • 3-4 tbsp Mayonnaise optional
- Step 1 Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add the chicken, brown on all sides, then remove.
- Step 2 Add the onion, garlic, ginger and a pinch of salt. Cook for 5 mins or until softened.
- Step 3 Increase the heat to high. Return the chicken to the pan with the spices, tomato purée, chilli and lemon juice. Season well and cook for 10 mins or until the chicken is tender.
- Step 4 Divide the chicken, red onion, chutney, herbs chess and mayonnaise between the three warm rotis. Roll up and serve with plenty of napkins and serve it hot Add kick to your chicken wrap with tomato ketchup or your favorite sauce