Chilli chicken is a very popular chicken snack eaten in India. I use to make chilli chicken of two types dry one for snacks purpose and gravy one is for our main course. Both are really awesome, whenever I cooked dry one its take only a few minutes and plates become empty ? so, must say try this chilli chicken as per your family taste (dry or gravy).
Learn with ease how to make chilli chicken (gravy & dry) in restaurant style. For those who do not know what this is, chilli chicken is one of the most popular Indo-Chinese style chicken appetizer or starter that is served in Chinese restaurants across the globe.
- 240 ml cup Oil for deep frying
- 250 gram Boneless Chicken
- 1 ½ tablespoon Chilli Sauce
- 1 ½ tablespoon Soya Sauce
- 1/4 tablespoon Pepper Powder
- 2 to 3 tablespoon Corn Flour (1 tbsp more optional)
- 2 to 3 tablespoon Plain Flour or Maida (optional use to get restaurant style)
- ¼ tablespoon Red Chili Powder
- Salt as pee your taste
- 1 ½ tablespoon Soya Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Chilli Sauce (you can substitute with Ketchup)
- 1/2 tablespoon Red Chilli Powder
- ¼ tablespoon Pepper Powder (optional)
- 3/4 to 1 tablespoon Vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon Sugar
- 1 medium Onion (thinly sliced or cubed)
- 2 tablespoon Garlic Chopped
- ¼ to ½ cup Cubed Bell Pepper / Capsicum
- 1 to 2 Green Chilies slit and de-seeded
- 1 spring Spring onion chopped (optional)
- 4 to 5 Leaves Celery - chopped finely (optional)
- Spring onions for garnish
- Step 1 Marinate chicken with chilli sauce, soya sauce & pepper powder. Set aside until you prepare the rest, at least for 45 minutes to 2 hours is best.
- Step 2 Meanwhile you could chop your onions, bell pepper and make the sauce ready for seasoning.
- Step 3 Sprinkle corn flour, plain flour (optional) on the meat along with salt and mix well.
- Step 4 If you like to have yours coated with crunchy flour like we get in restaurants, then use 1 more tablespoon corn flour and 2 tablespoon. plain flour and add chili powder. If you wish to use egg, you can add it now or you can leave and mix well.
- Step 5 Prepare the sauce : Add soya sauce, chili sauce, red chili powder, vinegar and ½ tablespoon sugar to a bowl and mix well.
- Step 6 After 2 hour heat oil in a pan and deep or shallow fry chicken till it is done. Keep stirring to fry evenly. Do not over fry, it tends to turn hard. It can also be grilled at 240 C for 20 to 25 minutes in a preheated oven.
- Step 7 When it is cooked, drain on a kitchen tissue.
- Step 8 Remove off excess oil from pan, just keep 2 spoons oil in the pan. Add garlic fry for about a minute then add onions, capsicum, spring onions, celery and green chilies and fry till they turn slightly soft for about a minute or so.
- Step 9 Pour the sauce that was prepared earlier. Let the sauces bubble up well. Add the fried chicken, mix well. If it looks dry, sprinkle little water. Saute on high flame for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Step 10 Serve chilli chicken hot as appetizer with fried rice or noodles.