A spicy dish made with boiled eggs, potato, tomatoes, fried onion paste, and few other ingredients, this is normally eaten with steam rice, chapati, or naan.This potato-based dish is a part of traditional Bengali dishes. The egg-potato recipe is popular and cooked throughout India but in Bengal, it is a special dish and most commonly eaten, you can find this in any corner, it is mostly eaten with Lucchi and known as “Aloor dim”.
As I’m from Kolkata, I have few memories regarding this dish, I remember when I was in college this was one of the top-rated dish in our college canteen & all-time favorites of all, we use to order it every day and it finishes very fast.
Egg Potato Curry
Egg-potato curry is a dish which you can serve it the main course when you have a certain get-together for dinner or lunch and nothing special to serve then try egg-potato curry, it will solve your tension, it's very quick and easy to cook. This interesting and quick recipe will be loved by people of all age group, the ingredients to cook this recipe can be picked from the kitchen only, it could be served with plain rice or Naan roti. I love this egg potato curry with steamed rice, must try this delicious lip-smacking recipe.
- 4 piece Medium Sized Potatoes
- 4 piece Hard boil eggs
- Salt as per taste
- 2 tpsp Ginger-garlic paste
- 2 piece Medium size onion (chopped)
- 1 ½ cup Tomato paste
- 1 tpsp Red Chili Powder
- 1 tpsp Turmeric powder (haldee)
- 1 tpsp Cumin powder (jeera)
- 1 tpsp Coriander powder (dhaniya)
- ½ tpsp Garam masala powder
- ¼ tpsp Fenugreek seed (menthee)
- 3 piece Green chilies (chopped)
- 2 piece Curry leaves
- ½ cup Green coriander leaves (chopped)
- 4 tpsp Mustard oil
- Step 1 Boil the eggs and remove the shell. Prick them with a fork or a knife randomly. Heat mustard oil in a pan add boiled eggs, fry it till slightly change the outside color, transfer it to a plate and keep it aside.
- Step 2 Take a pressure cooker and add 1 spoon oil, heat the oil, put the potatoes inside and fry it until golden brown, add a Pinch of salt, add one cup of water, cover the lid and allow to cook for 5 minutes and keep aside.
- Step 3 Heat a pan with oil and add fenugreek seeds and allow crackling them.
- Step 4 In the same pan to make curry, add chopped onion, ginger garlic paste, curry leave and fry it until the raw smell is gone.
- Step 5 Add tomato paste, salt and turmeric, fry them until return soft and smooth. Once the tomatoes are cooked add required quantity of water and put the lid on leaving it to cook for a couple of minutes.
- Step 6 Now add chili powder, coriander powder, chopped green chili, stir and cook for 1 to 3 minutes.
- Step 7 Mix all the ingredients really well, put the half-cup of water to mix the entire ingredient and cover the lid for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Step 8 Add potatoes and stir it to mix with all the ingredients, cover the lid for 1 minute.
- Step 9 Then add fried boiled eggs and garam masala, mix and cover it until the gravy thick. Add more water to make more gravy as per your requirement.
- Step 10 Add chopped coriander leaves and cover the lead for 5 minutes.
- Step 11 Uncover the lid and check gravy thickness if it’s as per your requirement switch off the stove and allow it to rest for few minutes then serve it with roti (chapati), rice or Naan.